Prepare to Travel Abroad and Resource List
Important Questions To Ask Yourself as You are Preparing To Study Abroad:
- How out do I want to be on my Study Abroad?
- How out do I want to be to my host family or roommates?
- Is it important for me to participate in LGBTQ activities and events while abroad?
- Do I want to be specifically connected to the LGBTQ community in my host city?
- Is discussing my sexual orientation or gender identity something that is important to me?
Important Questions to Ask Your Education Abroad Advisor, Provider Company, or Host Institution Contact:
- What are the social attitudes towards being LGBTQ in my host country?
- Are there resources for LGBTQ students in my host country or at my place of study?
- Are there any LGBTQ groups or LGBTQ-friendly establishments in my area?
- Are sexual orientation and gender identity openly discussed and accepted, or more taboo in my host country?
- Will I be staying with a host family, in student housing, or with roommates who will be accepting of me if I choose to come out?
- Are there safety and legal issues for LGBTQ individuals in this area?
University of South Florida comprehensive LGBT Student Guide for Education Abroad.
The Department of State’s US Passports and International Travel Department LGBT Travel Information.
The National Center for Transgender Equality air travel and airport security tips for transgender individuals who often times face difficulty and discrimination while traveling.
The Fund for Education Abroad offers a Rainbow Scholarship for LGBTQ students studying abroad.
NAFSA: Association of International Educators Rainbow Special Interest Group offers resources for study abroad students.
International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission offers country specific information and news.
Out Traveler offers information on LGBT destinations and events.
International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA)
ILGA Europe-specific Information
ILGA Lesbian and Gay Rights Map